Sunday, February 24, 2008

Garth Marenghi's Dark Place


Garth Marenghi's Dark Place
Originally uploaded by Sunny-bunny
I never used to read for entertainment. With the exception of A Wrinkle In Time and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (and perhaps a handful of tiny Disney books), I didn't read anything as a kid, that I wasn't forced to read by at the insistence of the unimaginative public school system. It wasn't until my best friend, LFS, lent me her copy of Stephen King's Night Shift in high school, that I made it all the way through a book. Even now, I usually read either horror, suspense, or thriller and have a soft spot for such books. So it's not shocking that I would love a show that pokes loving fun of the genre I adore.

Particularly in terms of how badly many of Stephen King and Dean Koontz's novels have been mangled in production, GMDP pours salt in the proverbial wound with deliberate overacting, extremely low budget effects and ridiculously bad continuity. Dean Learner being the worst offender of them all. But the best part being the mockumentary aspect of the show and how utterly clueless the two driving forces of the show within a show really are. There is always a line in the show that makes me burst out laughing or nearly sending a spray of water across the room.

And it doesn't hurt that they had Stephen Merchant on the show. Anything with Stephen Merchant is only made better by his being in it! TALL GEEKS RULE!

Thanks Adult Swim programming geniuses. Me love you long time!!!

No comments: