Saturday, February 23, 2008

Penmenship


Note for Woowoo!
Originally uploaded by Sunny-bunny
When I was about four years old, my mother took me to what would become my elementary school to talk with some man in the cafeteria / assembly hall. I remember going, I remember writing some stuff, and remember my mother being freaked out about something afterwards. Apparently, that was the day we learned I was left-handed.

It turned out that the man we went to see was a psychologist of some sort, and told my mother that the way I held my pencil was an indication of a lack of creativity and that I would never be successful. That's a pretty heavy thing to lay on any mother, much less one who is deeply insecure about how her children will make her look.

So she sat me down and forced me to learn how to write as though I was right-handed, holding the pencil "properly." And over the years, I would see how badly other left-handed folk would write and somehow think that the psychologist might have had something. I worked really hard to have pretty writing. It's a shame that I almost never hand write now.

1 comment: